In her book, College Study Skills: Becoming a Strategic Learner, Dianna L. Van Blerkom gives the following suggestions:
- Put academics first this week (Donâ€™t try to focus on family, friends, volunteer efforts or work, unless those activities give you energy and help you to accomplish your studies).
- Find out how much weight your teacher/professor gives to the final. Â Prioritize those finals that can change your grade one way or the other.
- Manage your stress as best you can (getting good sleep and exercise can help).
- Use time management strategies: schedule and plan each day…try to live by your plan.
- Ten days before final exams, make a to-do list of any outstanding assignments and work hard to accomplish those tasks before finals week. Â Finishing these assignments in advance will help you when itâ€™s time to study. Â Youâ€™ll be able to focus without worrying about leftover assignments hanging over your head.
- Make a calendar for before, during and after. Â As you try to stick with your plan (#4), try to live by your calendar, within reason. Â A flexible schedule can help. Â Itâ€™s possible some of your studying will take more or less time than you thought.
- Ask for time off from work. Â Use a vacation day if you need it.
- Stay healthy. Â Eat well, exercise and get enough sleep. Â Beware of all-nighters and pace yourself.
- Plan rewards. Â What will you do when you turn in your last paper, after you take your last final? Â Treat yourself: be with your friends, play, dance, sleep in and take a long, hot shower. Â You did it!
As you might imagine, Astrid can assist you with a number of these strategies. Â Weâ€™re here to help you succeed, whether creating lists or tasks, giving gentle and playful reminders, or letting others know what you hope to accomplish and inviting their support. Â All of us at Astrid have been through finals week and we know about the stress, but we also know about how fulfilling it is to accomplish your educational goals. Â We wish you good luck and invite you to share how Astrid contributes to your success!